Atractii turistice

Judet

Zona

ATTRACTIONS

The Black Church


The Black Church

The Black Church is the largest Gothic church in Transylvania and the largest sacral building in Romania.


details

Sibiu


Sibiu

It is impossible to tell of a city in a few words. Sibiu is a city which must be seen. The city of Sibiu is a veritable open-air museum, with houses dating from the fourteenth century and with a specific atmosphere that can be found in few European cities.


details

Sighisoara


Sighisoara

Today, the fortress of Sighișoara is as alive as it was several hundred years ago, while sheltering the leaders of Transylvania.


details

all attractions

Attractions in Sibiu

See attractions in county: Select a county
Agarbiciu

Agarbiciu

What is special is the oak door of the entrance tunnel which is 1,77 m high by 1,15 m wide. To increase its holding ability, it was decorated with iron inlays. Several iron cast tools (such as rakes, scythes, sickles, shovels, horseshoes, etc.) were also fizzed on its sides.

Details
Agnita

Agnita

It was a well-known town not only due to the stupendous activity of the guilds of tanners, shoemakers, tailors, coopers or potters, but also because of the vast citadel which fortified the church with towers that were built and maintained by the guilds themselves. Today, the visitor can find well preserved the church together with the Tower Bell, The Taylor’s Tower – which is now incorporated in the school’s building, The Cobblers’ Tower, The Coopers’ Tower and The Lard Tower used by the community to deposit the food.

Details
Alma Vii/Almen

Alma Vii/Almen

The village of Alma Vii is a protected area/protected rural site according to the Romanian legislation.

Details
Altana

Altana

“Legend says that the first Saxons to set foot on these lands were led by ten local lords called greavi. They summoned a Council to choose a name for their settlement. They finally decided to name it after the one who would prove himself worthy by working hardest. But because they had worked all equally hard and eagerly, they agreed on naming the settlement after all ten of them in German, All Zehn.”

Details
Atel

Atel

Una dintre cele mai frumoase piese din biserică este ornamentul în formă de floare, realizat în 1516 și decorat în relief, cu încrustări precum cele realizate de către Johannes Reichmuth la Biertan și Sighișoara.

Details
Axente Sever

Axente Sever

Today, a mixed Romanian-Hungarian couple lives inside the stronghold, takes care of it and offers information to those who visit. They maintain contact with former members of the Saxon community, most of whom have left for Germany.

Details
Bazna

Bazna

The legend says that some villagers from Boian went hunting in the nearby forests of their village. They came across a place which later had become the hearth of the village. They called this place „besser” which means „better”.

Details
Biertan

Biertan

The eastern bastion was once the solitary where the husbands and wives were imprisoned and were given a single plate, spoon, fork, cup and a single bed throughout the stay. Usually they were ending up reconciled without any further recourse to justice.

Details
Boian

Boian

Boian was a part of Cetatea de Baltă, signs of which can be seen inside the fortified church on the northern part of the nave, close to the cornice of the roof, but especially on the belfry where a bull head with the stars between the horns appears depicted on a relief placed on a circular plate.

Details
Bradeni

Bradeni

n the defensive levels there is a unique storage space which contains 140 chests with four supporting legs. They bear the name of “Strollentruhen” and some date back to the sixteenth century. Their sides and edges were decorated with carvings of human and animal figures painted in brownish-red and blue. The chests were used as furniture and for storage. Initially, expensive Sunday clothes of cloth, leather, or fur were kept inside.

Details
Bradu

Bradu

The tourists can find the fortified church right in the centre of the village. In 1315 it appears mentioned in some local writings.

Details
Brateiu

Brateiu

The deacon of Brateiu went out of his way to install a new and bigger bell to replace the old one which was melted during the war. He planned everything from the transport of the bell to build appropriate scaffolding for lifting it. The bell was eventually hoisted up and installed. The entire community waited eagerly for the first tolling of the great bell, but the disaster struck: the sound was but a screech, for it was discovered that the bell was cracked.

Details
Buzd

Buzd

No holy service has been held here since 1990 and the bells toll more and more seldom. The two empty caskets inside the church are a reminder that only two more Saxons are left in the village.

Details
Carta

Carta

The great Tatar invasion of 1241 caused unimaginable damage. Nearly the entire church needed to be rebuilt in 1250. The new building was executed in what is called early or Burgundy gothic - a style that still used a fair amount of typically Romanesque building techniques.

Details
Cisnadie

Cisnadie

O cruce relicvă ce datează din jurul anului 1440, lucrată în tehnica emailului, precum şi un frumos potir din argint aurit reprezintă două piese care au facut parte din tezaurul bisericii

Details
Cisnadioara

Cisnadioara

An interesting tradition within the village was that each young man was required to bring a boulder up into the stronghold to prove his strength before getting married.

Details
Copsa Mare

Copsa Mare

Because the people of Grosskopisch wanted to have a church as beautiful as the one in the neighboring town of Biertan, certain details and construction techniques seem to indicate that some of the men who worked on the Biertan building site also worked at Copşa Mare.

Details
Cristian/Groβau

Cristian/Groβau

The locality was named in the thirteenth century documents as “Insula Christiani” – The Island of Christianity, surviving after the Mongolian invasion.

Details
Curciu

Curciu

The origin of the name Kritsch is in the krc meaning „cleared up” or „root-less soil”.

Details
Darlos

Darlos

In addition to the architectural aspects, the beauty of the Dârlos church is represented in the paintings on both the inside and the outside walls.

Details
Dealu Frumos

Dealu Frumos

The historical events and developments in war technology as well as the development of firearms led to strengthening the church with a rectangular shape precinct and two defensive towers.

Details
Hosman

Hosman

The legend says that Hosman was built by those masons who could no longer find work in Alba-Iulia and who came with their apprentices to earn their pay at Hosman. This is most likely the reason for the resemblance between the great doorway here and the one in St. Stephens Dom in Vienna.

Details
Iacobeni

Iacobeni

Despite the fact that it was mentioned for the first time in 1309, it seems that Jakobsdorf (the German name of Iacobeni) is one of the oldest Saxon villages in Transylvania.

Details
Ighisu Nou

Ighisu Nou

The museum was organized by the local priest and is formed by donations of the Saxon families who moved back permanently to Germany. Both the objects and the stories told by the priest’s wife stir up melancholy for life in the old days.

Details
Malancrav

Malancrav

The real treasure of Mălâncrav is the mural painting, one of the best preserved specimens of 14th century linear-narrative gothic painting. Most of the frescoes are on the north wall of the main nave and were painted around 1350.

Details
Medias

Medias

The ones who reach the Mediaș Fortress can see the Trompets’ Tower which is almost 70 meters high. Vlad Țepes was kept in captivity here in 1476 after a conflict with Matei Corvin, the king of Hungary.

Details
Merghindeal

Merghindeal

The church is the simplest kind of reduct building that can also be found at Homorod, Dealul Frumos, Bruiu and Veseud.

Details
Mosna

Mosna

The terracotta ribs of the choir cross themselves in a key stone in the shape of a unicorn. The key stone over the apse was made in 1525 and represents the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus.

Details
Movile

Movile

The Saxons have all emigrated, but many of them often return during the summer to their birthplace. The church is guarded by a gipsy who keeps everything in order and looks after it with a rare devotion and care.

Details
Nocrich

Nocrich

At the beginning of the sixteenth century the inhabitants of Nocrich who numbered 190 souls had a strong and beautiful fortification in which they could defend their goods.

Details
Seica Mica

Seica Mica

Large horizontal machicolations allowed boiled water, tar and stones to be thrown down on any attackers. Round openings above them were for artillery and guns which could be targeted at enemies at greater distance.

Details
Sibiu

Sibiu

It is impossible to tell of a city in a few words. Sibiu is a city which must be seen. The city of Sibiu is a veritable open-air museum, with houses dating from the fourteenth century and with a specific atmosphere that can be found in few European cities.

Details
Slimnic

Slimnic

History tells us that the villagers have built the defense walls before finalizing the church. Thus, the church was never finalized. All that remains of the church today are its walls, except for the northern one, which has been destroyed.

Details
Stejarisu

Stejarisu

The vault was replaced with a stuccowork ceiling and the old choir was demolished thus making the nave longer. Stuccowork was an ornamentation made from a fine paste of tempered lime, marble dust and chalk dust.

Details
Sura Mare/Grossscheuern

Sura Mare/Grossscheuern

After the first reconstruction, in phase two more floors were added to the tower along with a defensive wooden floor which extended outwards on brackets. This construction technique of the wooden floor allowed tar, stones and boiled water to be thrown down on attackers at the base of the tower

Details
Tapu/Abtsdorf

Tapu/Abtsdorf

A characteristic element of this community is the high tolerance level of these people and the peaceful manner people managed to live together. This was proved through the catholic chapel that was kept until 1852.

Details
Valchid/Waldhuetten

Valchid/Waldhuetten

The land on the north-western corner of the fortification was used as a common burial ground because many of the villagers had been killed by plagues or war.

Details
Valea Viilor

Valea Viilor

The main attraction of the village is the evangelical church which belongs to the UNESCO world cultural heritage. The name of Valea Viilor comes from the fact that the villagers excelled at making wine, giving rise to the Romanian name meaning "Vineyard Valley".

Details
Veseud

Veseud

The lower footstep of the spiral staircase, made from a flag stone is the barometer of the village: when the rain is approaching the flag stone gets humid on its entire surface.

Details